This is a draft that has been sitting in my draft folder since March 13th. I’m not sure why I never published it. It’s been a busy year so far, I suppose I thought that I should produce images first and got side-tracked. I feel that it still works as an update of sorts, though, although it’s been two more months and more things have happened since. I really want to start writing again, and this is as good a start as any.
In short, though? Age; something like five years older and hopefully wiser than I was six months ago. Occupation; finally setting about quitting this nonsense and going back to school. Marital status; having my cake and eating it. Other cakes, too.
March 13, 2014.
I’m not entirely sure what I’ve been up to lately – a lot, I think, including that black cavalry twill mock uniform, quite a bit of gardening, a few railroad-related outings with hr. H and, um, stuff. Parties, gig with the fife and drum corps, helping my best friend move into her new apartment, work, things.
There are no photos of the suit as of yet. I wore it a couple of weeks ago, but the photos taken then have not surfaced, and it needs tweaking before I want to take proper photos of it myself. The shoulders turned out a little less well-defined than I like, they need stuffing and re-shaping, and I may take it in slightly over the hips as well.
This is how I do things, apparently. An intense work period towards a deadline, finish just in time, wear it, decide on changes to be made, make said changes. Taking more time during the process might be better, perhaps, but I have done a lot of alteration work in my day as well, and I don’t mind opening up my own garments to correct, adjust and fine tune fit later. It’s worth it. Sometimes you do need to wear the garment to make those decisions.
The fabric is every bit as lovely as I thought it would be, anyway, it looks appropriately sinister with the side cap and pebbled silvertone buttons, and apart from those quibbles I’m very happy with the fit. I think I will get a set of black leather buttons or something along those lines for it too, so I can get a little more use out of it, and probably make a belt from the fabric remnants.
Next up is a pink suit for darling K, a New Look-inspired affair with an a-line skirt and a very fitted jacket. I have made a suit for her before, the Lili Marleen costume back when she still did burlesque, and that jacket remains one of the best I’ve made. The pattern will be useful as a starting point, the fit over the shoulders, bust and sleeves is still very good, but that one was made to be worn over a tightly laced corset, and this one will not be, so there are significant differences below the bust. I look forward to doing this very structured, padded New Look kind of silhouette, with more feminine detailing than the things I make for myself usually get.
The fabric is a lovely, medium weight wool suiting in a warm shade of pink, with a discreet, small plaid pattern in a slightly darker and duller pink. It needs to look quite formal, so we are going for a classic cut with a slightly unusual shape to the collar and lapels, and scalloped pockets.
Right, and I brunched with a couple of friends the weekend before last, and came home with around ten modish 1930′s and 1940′s hats, worn by my friend’s grandmother, ranging from the sensible to the height of insane WWII-era hattery. They have to be seen to be believed. Somehow, I have not managed photos of those either yet, it’s just not possible to do them justice with a selfie. Just you wait.